|My Soul Art Journey - Finished Artwork|
I have recently discovered the work of Soul Artist Laura Hollick after two different people suggested I checked her out. WOW! What an amazingly positive and powerful force she is! So when I discovered it was International Soul Art Day on 9 May I signed up to take part. However, I only managed to carve out the time yesterday to create mine!
This was the first time I'd taken part and so wasn't sure what to expect. I watched the short films by Laura Hollick and downloaded the work sheet.
Then I started..
and followed the five steps..
- Intention - this lays the foundation for the 'soul art journey'
- Bodymapping - this creates a framework for the art
- Creative Expression - entering the creative zone and trusting myself
- Insight - what is my art telling me?
- Spirit Action - giving energy to the insights I received and making them tangible (Important!)
I've been experiencing quite a lot of pain and stiffness in my left side recently - mainly my left foot. I have a weaker left side as a result of having a stroke when I was 12 - so decided I wanted to explore my relationship with my left side through art and saw this as the perfect opportunity.
I mapped my legs and feet as I wanted guidance on how to heal my left side and to feel 'whole'.
That was fun!
Yes I did get paint on my legs!
Then I started to look at the images I had collected as part of the creative expression exercise - but didn't feel I was connecting with the images - it actually felt more frustrating - so decided to go with paint and a smattering of collage instead..
I got to this point - but felt something was missing...
|Soul Art - adding paint and collage|
Then I found my butterfly stamp..so I used that..and got a bit carried away!
|Soul Art butterfly detail|
|I even butterfly stamped my feet!|
Things just started to pop into my head - so I wrote them ALL down. Without judgement and not stopping to think about them or analyse them. I just wrote.
And these were my insights:
- I need to be lighter about life - but at the same time I need to focus on being grounded
- Look to nature to support you
- Wear yellow
- Focus on maintaining balance
- Keep creating - daily
- I can heal myself - I have the power - I need to believe
- I am strong
Then I asked some deeper questions for more clarity on these insights..
- Focus on grounding exercises that connect me to the earth
- Walk barefoot in the grass, slowly and with purpose daily for 6 weeks - write what comes up and create artwork as a result
- Be WOMEN - express and enjoy my femininity - create a persona to help me to connect with my inner goddess - use COLOUR!
- Dig? (not sure what that one is about yet!)
- Use visualisation - surround myself with Gold butterflies that represent my energy force and optimum health and wellbeing
- It will take 6 years to be 100% 'whole'
Wow! That was a lot of insights! That 'ping' were there - in my mind. And by creating the artwork, and asking those questions I was able to access it. Interesting.
So my key word right now is GROUNDING - so that's what I'm starting to do. I went on my first barefoot walk today.... And I wore a dress and a bright orange wrap!! ( I don't actually own anything yellow - yet!)
I felt foolish to start with - but as I walked I felt better and eventually GOOD! It felt sooo GOOD having bare feet on the grass! oh YES!
I also noticed how the temperature of the grass and earth changed as I walked - from being cold and wet at the beginning to being warm and refreshing at the end...
|Barefoot walk - Day 1|
A very interesting and valuable experience for me - and worth taking the time to do.
Will I be joining it again next year? YES! and I'd like to do it with a group of friends next time. ;-)
Do you use a grounding exercise? I'd love to hear what you do, if you'd be happy to share. x
To see the artworks and insights shared by others who also took part click here: International Soul Art Day - Gallery 2013